Silicone is a non-toxic substance that is synthetically made. It is heat-resistant and soft to touch, making it a popular choice for women looking for comfortable breast forms that look as natural as possible as it can be moulded into the shape of a natural breast. Fitting a silicone breast form is usually performed by a professional mastectomy fitter on your first fit, who will then give you advice on how to fit it yourself.
Types of Breast Forms
Among the types of breast forms or prostheses for use after a mastectomy are:
• Silicone forms, which are worn externally
• Non-silicone forms, which are instead made from foam or fibrefill and designed to be worn right after a mastectomy or during workouts or hot weather
• Attachable breast forms, which is designed to be to be attached to the chest wall using adhesive strips
• Soft camisoles with breast forms for wearing after a mastectomy. This is worn during the healing process
The Benefits of a Silicone Breast Form
As previously mentioned, silicone breast forms are comfortable and natural-looking, which will work wonders for a patient’s confidence levels. There are plenty of benefits to wearing silicone breast forms:
• It adheres directly to the chest wall
• Follows the natural movement of a woman’s body
• Perfectly suited to wear with figure-hugging clothes
• Better for weight distribution
• Provides an enhanced feeling of security
Choosing the Best Material for You
Every woman’s body is different, and there are prostheses available for every body shape, cup size and skin colour. There are also partial breast forms available for women who have had breast-conserving surgery and want some kind of breast symmetry. Silicone breast prostheses have different layers of silicone, allowing the breast form to adapt on the structure and movement of the remaining breast.
The type of prosthesis you wear will depend on the amount and location of your removed tissue during surgery, although you should be able to find one that is close to your original breast shape. A professional fitter will be able to guide you through this process.
Silicone breast forms are great options for mastectomy patients, and a professional fitter will be able to help you choose the best one and help you attach it.
Getting a Professional Fitting
When looking for the right silicone breast form for you, it is suggested that you seek the help of a breast form fitting specialist. This is because a woman’s body naturally changes in shape and size over time. This can be due to age, a change of diet, and during and after treatment.
Things you need to know when going for a professional silicone breast form fitting:
• Allow plenty of time for the fitting.
• Tell your fitter what your wants and expectations are to see if it aligns with what a breast form offers.
• Ask plenty of questions, speak up and listen to the instructions about how to wear a silicone breast form and how to take care of it. Also inquire about the store’s return policy.
Fitting a Silicone Breast Form
You will be measured and get changed. If you are choosing to have a silicone breast form, you will have time to ask the fitter questions about this option and whether it is best for you.
• Firstly, patients are given as much privacy as possible.
• A female fitter will assess the condition of your skin at the site of the surgery to ensure that the wound is healed.
• The fitter will make suggestions on what is the best breast form for your body based on cup fullness, shape and bra size.
• You will be brought a selection of pocketed bras to choose from.
• Once you have chosen your bra, the fitter will assist in trying them on to find the best fit.
• The fitter will also provide you with a T-shirt, or smock, to try over the bra to check if it looks and feels right.
• The fitter will also show you how to check the breast form and make sure it sits correctly in the pocketed bra.
• You will get instructions on how to take care of your silicone breast form before you leave.
Find a credible fitting agent, like the accredited agents at Amoena, who will be able to help you find and fit the perfect silicone Amoena breast form.