Go backLumpectomy, Bras and Inserts: What You Should Know
Lumpectomy does have its after-effects. Maybe you’ve heard of “chicken fillets?”
You’ve probably seen them in the
While anyone can use them inside a bra for cleavage-boosting purposes, these breast accessories are truly necessary—and in some cases, reimbursable by
Lumpectomy still accounts for approximately 70% of all the breast cancer surgeries performed each year, although the number of women who choose mastectomy is on the rise. If you’ve had breast cancer and it was detected early, chances are you
Not every woman diagnosed with breast cancer qualifies for
- Do you have more than one primary tumor?
- How large is the tumor in relation to the breast?
- Where is the tumor located? (Some locations will produce better cosmetic outcomes than others.)
- Are you pregnant? (If so, you can’t have radiotherapy.)
- Have you had prior radiotherapy to the breast or chest area?
If none of the above apply, your doctor/surgeon may talk to you about the possibility of having a lumpectomy rather than a mastectomy. A lumpectomy is something you want to may consider for the following reasons:
Lumpectomy istypically a shorter procedure with a shorter recovery time.
- Recurrence rate may be reduced in some cases.
- For some women, having a lumpectomy can result in minimal loss of sensation to the breast
- A lumpectomy allows you to maintain the majority of your natural breast.
It is possible to experience asymmetry after a lumpectomy, which may only become apparent once the swelling of surgery has subsided. This might be due to the amount of tissue that needed to be removed or simply the subsequent effect that radiotherapy has had to the skin or surrounding breast tissue.
If it’s bothersome enough that your clothes fit uncomfortably, a partial breast shaper might be just what you need.
Balance partial shapers are designed specifically to fill, cover and conceal almost any breast asymmetry created by surgery or radiotherapy. They can also balance naturally uneven breasts. Our bra inserts come in a variety of shapes,
Reimbursement Options for Breast Shapers
Ask your mastectomy fitter for assistance in finding just the right solution for your needs. A partial breast shaper can give you the smooth silhouette you want to see in the mirror, and body confidence every day.
Resources: American Cancer Society. “Breast Cancer Facts & Figures 2015-2016.” Atlanta: American Cancer Society, Inc. 2015. Jan. 23, 2017.