Go backDrain Wound Care
How to care for your surgical site after breast cancer surgery.
Following a mastectomy, a woman may be discharged home with one or more drains coming from the incision site on her chest or under her arm.
Care instructions should be given prior to leaving the hospital on how often to observe and empty the drainage container. The purpose of the drain is to keep fluid from collecting in the area of your incision.
Fluids that collect in a wound create an environment for bacteria growth and an infection could develop. There are two types of drainage collectors commonly used today: a spring-loaded type and a bulb syringe. The bulb syringe is the most common and the most simple to use. The tubing coming from the incision to the collector is about 14″-18″ long. The collector has a loop on it that may be pinned inside or outside clothing to keep it secure.
Better yet, comfortable clothing options, like drain management garments, are available to help you with drains after breast surgery. These cotton camisole-type garments are soft and comfortable with no internal seams to rub against the skin. A concealed front panel allows for pinning of the collector, or fastens it with velcro tabs; the garment can also hold soft cotton breast forms to give you a little shape as you recover and heal.
The following steps should be used to empty the drainage collector:
1. Wash your hands prior to emptying the container. Ask anyone who helps you to wash their hands as well.
2. Check your drains at least 4 times the first 24 hours after you get home and if the container is more than 2/3 full, empty the drainage into the measuring container. Use care not to touch the inside of the port or the stopper. Observe the draining for:
- Amount: The drainage will be greater just after surgery and will taper off as time goes by. Amounts of 100cc’s or greater are considered normal, decreasing to about 30 cc’s or less just before the drain is removed.
- Consistency: Initially, the consistency is slightly thicker than water and moves easily through the tubing. It should become thinner with time. If the fluid becomes thicker or will not move easily through the tubing, notify your surgeon.
- Color: The drainage will be cherry red for about 24 hours, but will become more yellow-straw colored prior to removal. If the drainage does not change from red after about two to three days, notify your surgeon.
3. To resume the suction on the container, press the container flat and reconnect the stopper. If the container will not hold suction, notify your surgeon.
4. Rinse the measuring container and wash your hands again. Secure the drain to your clothing with a safety pin, or place the drain in a pocket of loose fitting clothing.
5. The drains will be removed by the surgeon at a follow up appointment, usually 10 to 14 days post-op.
Drain and Wound Care
When you leave the hospital, your incision will be covered with a dry dressing. It is very important to keep this dressing dry and clean. Most surgeons prefer that you leave the dressing intact until you return for a follow up appointment, although some will allow you to remove the dressing at home. To remove the dressing yourself:
- First, wash your hands. Ask anyone assisting you to wash their hands as well.
- Carefully remove the tape, starting with one side, then the other.
- Double-bag the dressing and discard. Wash your hands again.
- The wound (incision) will appear slightly red along the edges. It should be only slightly swollen and no drainage should be present. Any other findings should be reported to the surgeon.
Mjur och bekväm by GA Efter mastektomi krävs kompressions-bh. Den sjukhuset tillhandahöll fungerade bra, men gav mig - som är lite "ömhudad" - obehag. Jag hittade denna, ringde Amoena och fick utmärkt hjälp och bh med post, med bättre sömn och ökad bekvämlighet som resultat.Mjuk, bekväm och reglerbar by GA Som nyopererad utpräglad "ömhuding" är den här perfekt. Den håller även temporär och "långsiktig" protes på plats alldeles utmärkt.True comfort. by NW A true gem of a bra for recovering after breast surgery. Gives support and is very comfortable to wear.SARAH POSTQUIRUJIRCO by MV IMPOSIBLE TRAMITAR LA COMPRA
Excellent support for active wear by BW This is a well-made bra that provides excellent support for active wear such as yoga or pilates where you are moving and twisting the body .. it doesn't ride up and keeps everything where it should be!Min räddning som nyopererad by Kristina Krogdal Den här behån hjälpte mig genom de första 4 veckorna efter min bröstoperation. Nu efteråt är den fortfarande min favorit, och jag kommer att köpa fler i framtiden. Rekomenderas av Kristina - 55 år - storlek 85 CFront fastening bra by JM The product came promptly and in good condition. Very soft material and comfy. Deep sides to miss scarring underarms . Great to sleep in
Comfort by SH This bra is excellent after surgery very comfortable and easy to get on in aidedVery comfortable by J M Very comfortable for weeks post mastectomy.Love the bra by KF This bra has been very useful and easy to use after my procedure. I wish the straps were a little wider but other than that, I have been pleased with this product. I bought three of this type of bra.Double mastectomy by TG This bra stays in place when I lift my arms up. The wide web material under the arm also helps doesn't curl up too much. This post mastectomy bra is comfortable.Ester bra by J S This is the most comfortable bra I have ever worn. It's a real comfort after a mastectomy.
Great buy by CM Lovely bra and great supportComfortable by AG I use this as a sleeping bra. Very comfortable and washes beautifully.very comfortable by VBH soft and comfortable. even sleep with it . and buying another several months after surgery. just bling it up with colourful underwear. like the sporty look. 46 years old and do like to dress nice too.McGill by MM Good fit and very comfortableExcellent by CH Really comfy & supportive bra. Very well made, expensive but you get what you pay for.Bon soutien-gorge pour le sport by MT Agréable, léger et bon maintien
Soft cleanser by shirley mckenzie Excellent product, simple to use and highly effective. Would recommend.Soft Cleanser by Christine Holden Effective cleanser. Do not need much to produce a lather.GOOD PRODUCT by David Tildesley OBVIOUSLY MY WIFE USES THIS PRODUCT AND FINDS IT TO BE EXCELLENT IN CLEANSING AND MAINTAINING HER PROSTHETIC BREAST.Soft Cleanser by Sarah Connolly Great product, only negative is its best to buy in bulk as the delivery costs are quite highEssential purchase by Marion Inchmore The cleaning solution is a must for use with your contact prosthesis.Cleanser by Elaine Reeves Bottle lasts for ages as you only need a small amount to get a lather.Cleanser by Elaine Reeves Cleanser, you only have to use a little to get a good lather lasts for agesExcellent product by DN This cleanser is great to use on my prothesis. A little goes a long way making it inexpensive to use.Soft cleanser by SK A couple of years ago the cleanser ingredients were changed and it wasn't as good, so thank you Amoena for going back to the old cleanser which is excellent for cleaning the prosthesis for the best adhesion.Perfect cleanser by BW Interesting to see product had changed and has now returned to original recipe! I thought I had mis ordered previously. An excellent cleanser and you only need a very small amount so the container lasts for ages.Très bon produit by JC je l'utilise depuis 13 ans , il prolonge la vie de ma prothèse .Soft Cleanser by NJ Fantastic product really cleans the breast form and keeps the contact, allowing you to feel confident that your breast form is going to stay in place.Soft cleasner by dj Great stuff. Little spot goes a long way.its a must for any prosthesisAmoena ~Soft ~Cleanser by M S I have been using this since my Mastectomy operation nearly 26 years ago and it is an excellent product. Delivery is swift and efficient.Soft Cleanser by M S I have been using Amoena cleanser since my mastectomy operation in 1991 ordering is so simple and delivery is speedy, it is made easier on line too.Soft Cleanser by A C Delighted with this product which I have used for over 5 years. A little goes a long way and creates a lovely lather.Soft Cleanser by J G This is excellent for using on the contact prosthesis. The postage is quite expensive so I bought 3 together. Would definitely recommend.Soft Cleanser Bottle by C.W Wish the container was a little more pliable as squeezing the liquid out is quite difficult, particularly the last quarter of the bottle.Perfect solution by A.S Each evening I know that scrubbing my prosthesis with the brush creates a cleansing lather, then leaving them to air-dry overnight they are always ready for use the next day,$9.95