Go back10 Ways to Adapt after Breast Cancer
Becoming the “new you” takes a little forethought
Women adapt to their lives after cancer in wildly unique ways, because everyone is different.
One might share her story in great detail at breast cancer support groups, while another turns inward to begin writing poetry.
One takes up running to stay physically healthy; another
Whatever you choose to do as you adapt, we know you'll read lots of advice.
Here are our top picks — submitted by breast cancer survivors who've been there.
- Say Thank You. It seems counter-intuitive, but "thank you" is a great place to start. As one survivor explained: "My way to adapt was with a sigh and a thank-you to my medical team. I learned to ask lots of questions, to deal with a day at a time, and to check in with the support group. I also started a gratitude journal. I am now 11 1/2
years fromdiagnosis and survivor life is GOOD!"
- Make the world a better, kinder, gentler place to live. In other words: Help Others. So many of you become certified mastectomy fitters, support group leaders, patient advocates—this journey can be the catalyst for a life focused on others.
- Turn lemons into lemonade. So, you have a bad day once in a while. Realize that it's normal, and fight to find something of value in it—did you learn something about yourself? About others? Did you make a decision as a result of the negative moment? Then you have gained something—and small gains, like lemonade, are sweet.
- Prioritize. Breast cancer diagnosis helps you know, deep down, exactly what’s important to you. Focus on that. Let the rest—the other things that vie for your attention—fall away, along with any guilt. "Perfection has been tossed out the window," one wise survivor told us.
- Appreciate each day. Over and over, we hear that you
adapt bylearning to appreciate your days and nights. Simple things like a comfortable breeze. A warm cup of coffee. This is how you stay positive, and is ultimately how you begin to thrive.
- Rely on your family and friends. They want what's best for you, and they want to help. Know that—believe it—and let it comfort you. Ask for help. Your "new normal" will be richer for it.
- Look forward. Don’t look back. One surprising piece of advice we heard? Don’t dwell on cancer. Sure, learn what you need to know, but instead of "why me?" think about what you want to become.
- Diet and Lifestyle. Adapting often begins with changes in how you treat your body. Fueling with whole, healthy foods, and engaging in comfortable movement when you’re able to, sends a signal to your body: This is the new me.
- Have Faith. Nearly all of our tips roll up to this one: have faith. Whether you’re strongly spiritual or just faithful enough to know the sun comes up every morning, your faith in yourself and in possibility is key to adapting. Positive affirmations and prayer/meditation are tools that everyone can access. (Believe us!)
- Take one day at a time. Maybe it doesn’t pay to think too far into the future. Instead, enjoy today. Tomorrow will work itself out. Just remember, as one survivor told us, "Every day that I wake up I've beaten cancer. That's how you adapt, one day at a time."
That's why we've created the Adapt Light breast form—to hug your body and find your curves. It adjusts and adapts to you!
How have you
Essential 2A breast forma size 5 R by CP Essential 2A brast form size 5 R
Natural feel by CL Thank you all at Amoena I am so pleased with these breast forms. I have just received the essential 3S forms in a size 7 and have warn them all day today and have forgotten that they were there. They have given me a good shape and have not caused an problems on the shoulders Also I would like to thank the staff on the help lines who were very professional, and patient with my enquires again thank youHomemaker by Susan I purchased the Amoena Essential 3S 363 breast forms. I have worn several other brands over the last 20 years, but these are the best. They have the same feel and weight as natural breast, I love the way they move with me, just the right amount of jiggle.Homemaker by Susan I purchased the Amoena Essential 3S 363 breast forms. I have worn several other brands over the last 20 years, but these are the best. They have the same feel and weight as natural breast, I love the way they move with me, just the right amount of jiggle.
LIght Breast Form by PW They really are very light, not like the previous version. Really pleased with my purchased.
Beaucoup de légèreté by Annie CLEMENT Bonjour, J'ai acheté cette prothèse il y a deux mois. Et elle m'a changé la vie, car beaucoup plus légère que mon ancienne environ 360 gr de moins. J'en arrive à oublier que j'ai une prothèse ce qui ait appréciable.Natura Xtra Light 2SN Breast Form by FD I was getting shoulder pain with a normal weight breast form. This is definitely lighter. It is very wide but this does give wider spread than the normal breast form, and so sits more comfortablyComfortable fit by IS First fit, still using pocketed but so much better than kapok filled forms.
Very pleased by CC After losing a little weight my 3S Breast Form was looking too full. The 2S is perfect and the perfect weight, I always forget I'm wearing a breast form.MRS by M H VERY PLEASED WITH MY NEW BOOBS AND GREAT SERVICE