Go backBenefits of Swimming After Breast Surgery
Dive in! You can and should swim after breast surgery. Get our swimming tips.
Can I Swim After my Mastectomy?
The answer is a resounding “yes.” Because it’s so gentle, swimming after breast surgery is an excellent way to exercise all your major muscle
When the doctor says it’s okay to begin moderate exercise, swimming is one of the best first steps. Many doctors and swimming experts endorse it as one of the safest and most comfortable ways to get back into exercise.
“One of the big plusses of swimming comes from the magic buoyancy of water. There is no pressure or strain placed on the muscles and joints,” says Jane Katz, Ed.D., professor of health and physical education at John Jay College at
Swimming strengthens muscles and burns calories
After breast surgery, you’re likely to have a slightly different centre of gravity, and you’ll have
The cardiovascular benefits are great too. Once you’ve worked up to a fast and steady pace, you will be improving your heart condition – the most important muscle in your body – each time you swim.
Burning calories is great for the post-chemotherapy weight gain some women experience. Yet, for many women, high-impact sports such as running can be uncomfortable, and even risky if you fall. Swimming and water exercises can help you exercise to burn calories gently and safely. Unlike tennis or other competitive sports, you can swim alone, at a pace you set, and stop when you feel tired.
5 tips for swimming after breast cancer surgery:
- Do no more than 20 minutes of any stroke. The dog-paddle is good for upper-body conditioning.
The breaststrokeis a relaxing option, helpful for toning and stretching leg muscles. The backstroke helps strengthen back muscles. The sidestroke may work well after a lateral mastectomy (working the opposite arm). The butterfly stroke is strongly discouraged since it is very strenuous and requires an arched back.
- Always do warm-up and cool down stretches. Five minutes of each. These can be done both in and out of the pool. You can sit at the edge of the pool and kick water or stretch your calf muscles. In the pool, you can do a slow walk or jog to help your body adjust to the water. Avoid overstretching your surgical site.
- Don’t overheat. Changes in your body may make it less adaptable to heat so always be careful. If you live in a warm climate and swim outdoors, swim in the early morning or later in the day to avoid the hottest part of the day. Make sure you drink water before and after your swim.
- Don’t overdo it. If you feel tired, then stop. You should be relaxed, not enervated. Now is not the time to rev up your target heart rate.
- Before starting this or any exercise program, always check with your doctor. If you aren’t a swimmer, don’t start now with 50 laps of breaststroke. Instead, try gentle water exercises, such as arm circles and wall push-ups, that will give you many of the same benefits.
Can I wear a regular swimsuit?
Again, the answer is yes. If you have had reconstructive surgery, your swimwear should still fit and will support your breasts while swimming.
If you wear breast prostheses, there are lots of pocketed swimwear options available that are every bit as beautiful as you’re used to. These can hold either a regular silicone breast
Chlorine and salt water won’t damage your breast form — but be sure to rinse it (and your swimsuit) in fresh water after you swim. If left unwashed, chlorine and salt will break down the silicone.
What about the hot tub, sauna or Hammam?Lots of women ask us about using hot tubs and saunas with their breast forms. Here are our recommendations:
- The highest safe temperature for a silicone breast form is 60°C (140°F). Take care to know the water temperature before using a hot tub or sauna.
- Typical Hammam temperature is around 50°C (122°F), which is acceptable for a breast form, including Aqua Wave.
- Avoid sulfur baths. Your breast form will absorb the smell and colour.
- Aqua Wave breast form is highly recommended for swimming and spa.
LIght Breast Form by PW They really are very light, not like the previous version. Really pleased with my purchased.
Homemaker by Susan I purchased the Amoena Essential 3S 363 breast forms. I have worn several other brands over the last 20 years, but these are the best. They have the same feel and weight as natural breast, I love the way they move with me, just the right amount of jiggle.Homemaker by Susan I purchased the Amoena Essential 3S 363 breast forms. I have worn several other brands over the last 20 years, but these are the best. They have the same feel and weight as natural breast, I love the way they move with me, just the right amount of jiggle.
Very pleased by CC After losing a little weight my 3S Breast Form was looking too full. The 2S is perfect and the perfect weight, I always forget I'm wearing a breast form.MRS by M H VERY PLEASED WITH MY NEW BOOBS AND GREAT SERVICE
Breast form by LW Very comfortable to wear, fits nicely into bra pocket. Looks and feels natural.Amoeba breast form by MH Really comfortable fit. My first breast form was Amoena - the same as this one - and lasted for 7 years. This is the reason I purchased the same one again. So natural looking.Everyday comfort by E E I have lymphoedema and I've had a double mastectomy. This breast form has been my favourite for some time now. Drapes naturally and the lighter weight makes it comfortable to wear all day.Everyday comfort by EE Delivered promptly. This breast form is so comfortable especially as I'm a bilateral with lymphoedema. The weight and fit are just perfect. A very happy customer.
Beaucoup de légèreté by Annie CLEMENT Bonjour, J'ai acheté cette prothèse il y a deux mois. Et elle m'a changé la vie, car beaucoup plus légère que mon ancienne environ 360 gr de moins. J'en arrive à oublier que j'ai une prothèse ce qui ait appréciable.Natura Xtra Light 2SN Breast Form by FD I was getting shoulder pain with a normal weight breast form. This is definitely lighter. It is very wide but this does give wider spread than the normal breast form, and so sits more comfortablyComfortable fit by IS First fit, still using pocketed but so much better than kapok filled forms.
Déçue du maintien by AMD Très vite le contact est inexistant et ça devient très désagréable. C'est vraiment dommage.
Contact light breast form by Norma Holmes I have had a few of these now. Find them very light and comfortable and easy to wear. An excellent product.baisse de qualité by Md difficile de faire durer une prothèse 18 mois alors qu'avant elles duraient facilement 2 ans.
Perfect by JW Delighted with my purchase. Very natural in feel and shape. I can highly recommend this product.Perfect by A T Very pleased with my purchase. It feels so natural and would recommend itPerfect! by LJ I'm very happy with this breast form. It looks and feels so natural. It's a real confidence boost.
Breast form by karen maddox I recently bought a new breast form and i could not be more happy with it it's comfortable and looks so natural no one can tell you are wearing one only you really really pleased with it thank you