Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup
High in cancer-fighting antioxidants, sweet potatoes are loaded with energy-boosting carbs, plus fiber, vitamins, manganese, and potassium.
- 15 mins prep
- 40 mins cooking
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 1 Celery stick, chopped
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 400 g / 14 oz Sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 100 g / 4 oz Chorizo sausage, chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp Medium curry powder
- 900 ml / 3 c. Chicken stock
- Salt & pepper
1. Bring a large pan to medium/high heat and pour in the olive oil and all the chopped and sliced ingredients.
Add the curry powder and mix with a wooden spoon.
2. Cook for 10 minutes or until the carrot has softened but isn’t falling apart and the onions are translucent.
3. Add the chicken stock to the pan and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked through.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and allow to cool slightly.
6. Using a food processor or hand blender, blend the soup in batches.
7. Re-heat if necessary then divide in to 4 bowls and serve.
It’s always a good idea to eat well. Healthy eating is particularly important during and after breast cancer treatment. Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet can help reduce your fatigue, increase your energy level and help you lose the weight you may have gained during treatments. If you get into healthy eating habits now, you can also protect your body from other illnesses like diabetes and heart disease in the future.
Remember: there’s no scientifically proven food or diet that can cure or prevent cancer. However, there are foods that promote overall health and others that should be minimized or eliminated from your diet.
It’s easy to eat healthier: All you have to know is which foods to eat more of and which to avoid.