Fall is perfect for pumpkin
Chef Olivier Chaput ’s Cream of Potimarron and Chestnut Soup
The potimarron is a member of the squash family, a "relative" of the pumpkin.
Chef Olivier Chaput’s Cream of Potimarron and Chestnut Soup with Air-Dried Beef Chips
For this delicious potimarron soup you need the following ingredients and a little bit of time for cooking. But it will be worth it!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 3 onions
- 4 1/2 lbs. diced potimarron (or pumpkin)
- 1 lb. cooked chestnuts
- 2 cups soy milk
- 10 slices of air-dried beef
- 5 tsp. olive oil
1. Dice the onions and sauté in the olive oil.
2. Add diced potimarron and 4/5 of the chestnuts.
3. Cover with water and boil.
4. Salt to taste.
5. When the potimarron is soft, stir in the soy milk. Use an immersion blender to puree.
6. For the beef chips, cut into 3 slices, arrange on parchment paper and bake at 425° for a few minutes.
7. To serve, place a few pieces of chestnut in the bottom of each bowl and pour in the soup; garnish with the chips.
The chef recommends adding 1 teaspoon turmeric or ginger, for an extra dose of antioxidants.You can also substitute vegetable chips for the beef chips garnish, if you prefer.
This recipe was originally published in Amoena Life magazine, Fall 2013.
Enjoy your meal!
Do you have a favorite pumpkin recipe? Then send it to us and we will publish it on our websites. We are looking forward to your cooking ideas!